“IT’S AS IF WE SPEND OUR ENTIRE LIVES AVOIDING JELLO BUT IT IS ALWAYS THERE AT THE END, WAITING.” John Grisham.
It’s BERRY WEEK which means the Theme Weavers are at it again, celebrating all week long with all things berrylicious!
I haven’t spent a lifetime avoiding jello. But it definitely isn’t my first choice of dessert. Sure there’s always room for it, because there’s nothing really to it! When I was growing up, jello was a staple at my home. It was an easy dessert, and one that we had often. This fresh berry terrine is definitely more substantial. And flavorful. Because the berries are really the focus in this terrine. Fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are submerged and suspended in sweet cran-strawberry juice. A little brown sugar and lemon juice round out the flavors. A bit more going on here than just jello. But it’s still a light and refreshing way to showcase our beautiful summer berries!
Let me show you this little dessert glass. While nothing fancy, it is nearly 50 years old! Whatever dessert I had growing up…..jello…..chocolate, butterscotch or tapioca pudding…..ice cream or sorbet, was served in this glass. When I left my home in Boston, it was to go to graduate school in Philadelphia. And I took one of these glasses with me because I wanted something familiar, that would remind me of the comforts of home, and bring me instantly back to my childhood when I needed it. I can’t remember the last time I used it and almost forgot I had it until this post!
You can actually prepare this dessert in any number of ways. But a terrine, which will be sliced, definitely makes a stunning presentation. The colors are beautiful. Serve it with mascarpone whipped cream for some extra lusciousness.
This berry terrine is light and sweet and tart. Use any fresh berries you’d like. Though I think it looks pretty to use as many as you can find! And any type of cranberry or pomegranate juice works, too. You can make this as ‘lite’ as you’d like as well.
Level of Difficulty: Easy!
Yields: 8-10 servings
SUMMER BERRY TERRINE:
- 2 cups of cran-strawberry juice
- envelopes of Knox gelatin
- 1/2 cup of packed, light brown sugar
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 5 cups of ripe fresh berries ( I used 2 cups of blackberries, 2 cups of raspberries and 1 cup of blueberries)
Gather your berries and place them in an 8 x 4 inch bread pan. Pour 1/2 cup of juice in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Heat 1/2 cup of juice with the brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir the juice until all of the sugar is dissolved and then remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the gelatin mixture until it is dissolved. Then add your lemon juice and the remaining cup of juice. Stir this concoction well, and then pour over the fruit in your pan. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the pan. Place the bottom of the pan into some warm water for just a few seconds. And then turn it over onto your serving plate.
Jello never looked or tasted like this before!
SWEET MASCARPONE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 of a cup of heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons of confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of your electric mixer. Whip on medium speed until everything is combined, scraping the bowl as you need. Then increase the speed to high and continue to whip until the cream thickens. Serve immediately.
The mascarpone definitely adds a little more texture to the whipped cream and the cheese pairs really well with the berries!
You can go retro and make this in any type of mold you have. I experimented a bit. Have you ever seen those cocktails that have 1 HUGE square ice cube in it? Well I made a few of these in those silicone ice cube molds. That way you can create individual servings.
And when my own kids were growing up, they liked me to make jello in regular ice cube trays. So I made a batch of those, too. This berry terrine is definitely going to bring back some memories.
And Grisham is right…..it’s always there…..waiting.
Here’s the Berrylicious line up for the week:
- Jeanne @ Inside Nanabread’s Head: Annie’s Blackberry Cake
- Anne @ From My Sweet Heart (Me!): Summer Berry Terrine with Sweet Mascarpone Whipped Cream
- Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain: Vanilla Gelato with Peach-Blueberry Compote & Honey Whipped Cream
- Kat @ Tenaciously Yours: Strawberry Smash
- Megan @ Country Cleaver: Berry French 75/ Berry Sorbet Float
- Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks: Strawberry Rhubarb Stuffed French Toast
- Christina @ Buffy and George: Black Raspberry & Cherry Pie with a Gluten Free Crust
- Beka @ Kvetchin’ Kitchen: Berry Early Grey Cocktail
- Monica @ The Grommom: Berry Crisp
- Madeline @ Munching in the Mitten: Cherry Clafoutis
- Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World: Raspberry Marshmallows (served two ways!)
Please be sure to check out everyone’s berry wonderful creations!