Are you in need of a unique Cinco de Mayo recipe?
Try this fantastic vegetable tart. A spicy chili crust is layered with black bean puree, and a delicious mixture of black beans, corn, peppers and onions, cheese and cilantro. This is a good vegetable recipe to kick off the month of May. But it’s also great in the summer when fresh corn is at it’s best. And the chili flavored crust carries it nicely into the fall and winter, even.
But wait. It gets better. Top it of with some bright, lime sour cream! This is luscious stuff!
Honestly, I think this tart is worth making for the spicy, flavorful chili pie crust alone. But the combination of veggies and cheese and sour cream are amazing together. The cilantro and lime keep it bright and fresh!
So pour the margaritas and get ready for a party in your mouth!
Support your local farmers!
- FOR CHILI CRUST:
- 1¼ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons of ice water
- FOR BLACKBEAN FILLING
- 3 cups of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 4 ears of fresh corn (10 ounces if using frozen)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1½ cups of coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
- LIME SOUR CREAM:
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- the juice and zest of 1 lime
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, spices and salt until they are well combined well. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles a course meal.
- Add the ice water and pulse until the mixture forms a dough.
- Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 10 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Chill the dough for at least 15 minutes.
- Line the crust with foil and fill with pie weights, beans or rice.
- Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes or until the edge is set.
- Carefully remove the foil and weights and bake the crust until it is golden, and additional 10 minutes.
- Cool the crust in the pan on a wire rack.
- In your food processor, puree 1 cup of black beans with the 2 Tablespoons of sour cream. Season with salt and pepper and puree until smooth.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet until hot but not smoking.
- Saute the corn with salt and pepper to taste, about 3 minutes.
- Cool the corn.
- In a large bowl, stir together the corn, remaining whole black beans, bell pepper, jalapenos, scallions, cilantro and cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the bean puree evenly over the bottom of the crust and mound the corn and bean mixture on top, gently pressing the mixture down.
- Bake the tart in the middle rack of a 350° oven for about 20 minutes and until the cheese is melted.
- Cool the tart in the pan on a wire rack.
- Combine the sour cream, lime juice and zest and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the rim of the pan and serve the tart warm or at room temperature with the lime sour cream.